July 13, 2007

Markets Matter!



If you are a foodie you know your Top Chef, but you may not always have the time to check out the blogs. I had a few moments this morning before starting a crazy paced afternoon and I happened upon a great blog by Gail Simmons commenting on sustainable farming and supporting your local farmers.

"Food & Wine launched Grow for Good in December 2006, a campaign to raise $1 million to benefit Farm to Table, a national initiative dedicated to supporting local farms and encouraging sustainable agriculture."

Grow for Good is over but Farm to Table is a great resource to finding local markets & farmers. Support your local farmers, there is some great farmers market in your city especially right now mid-summer. The food is cheaper, tastes better and you help someone earn a living wage. Not to mention the flowers are cheaper and beautiful too :)

Oh! I just found this great resource on FoodRoutes.org for Finding Good Food , basically farmers markets, Food Co-ops, Restaurants, U-Pick Farms, everything to help you make smart choices about where you spend your food dollars.

Okay I got sidetracked and I realized that it is the 150 year anniversary of Pike's Place Market. Sigh. I loved that place, its seafood and flowers were my favorite. Getting coffee on a chilly day and looking at the Puget Sound over the traffic of 99..ok I'm getting sad. Visit it in person if you get chance (go on a weekday, its crazy on the weekends).

No comments: